Let’s not repeat today, ok?


I had heard that bone marrow tests were painful, and unfortunately, I must say that mine did not disappoint.  I feel like I learned so much more about the process today.  Every time I come for an appointment now, they will be taking a sample of my blood so that they can keep close tabs on my blood counts, etc.   It’s funny to watch us at the doctors offices.  It’s like I have my own little parade. 🙂 At least now we are getting a better idea of when they’re needing to go in with me.

I really didn’t know what to expect today. I mean, I had heard that they hurt, but I didn’t know why.  My nurse today was Susan and she was fantastic!  It was so nice to ask her question after question, and she patiently answered them.  My first question was, “Can I run?”. I’m happy to say that they told me that as long as my body lets me, I can go running.  Yippee!  I may not be able to do much, and I’m not going to attempt a half marathon this year, but that’s ok, because I heard that a bunch of friends are going to run it for me. 🙂

When Dr. Sharman came in, he explained how the procedure would go, and that it wouldn’t last terribly long.  He was very forthright with each step, and took the time necessary to help me try to understand.  I’ll spare you the details, but I will say that Mom wouldn’t watch, and Tom watched the whole thing.  However, I refuse to let him tell me how it was done – at least for now while my backside is still sore!  All I know is that I hope I don’t have to do it again.  It wasn’t a sharp pain, it was a lot of pressure, but some definite pain.  At one point I yelped like a dog, and then it was basically over.  It was more scary than anything else.

The biggest surprise of the day came after the procedure.  I knew that I would have to have a port put into my chest at one point before they started chemo, but I didn’t know when it would be.  They thought I would be able to get in some time next week, but when it turned out that there wouldn’t be a surgeon available on Wednesday, it looked like next Friday would be the day.  So we went over to the Surgery center, and they confirmed that it could be done next Friday before my first session of chemotherapy.  They were able to get me in to a nurse practitioner at the surgeon’s office today for a pre-op appointment. Then was when we found out.  The surgery is actually scheduled for TOMORROW!  All this time, the ladies scheduling me were not understanding each other.  One thought it was this Friday and the other thought it was next Friday!  Well, they got it straightened out, and I am supposed to check in at 8:45 tomorrow morning. Then, late tomorrow afternoon I will be going to our church’s Women’s Retreat. I am so looking forward to the mental refreshment.  Thank you for all the prayers, they make such a difference.

On days like today, it’s really hard to stay with a positive attitude.  But I think of so many others who are going through major issues with their children and cancer, and I feel so blessed that it is me, and not anyone else in my family that is having to go through this.  I trust You Lord, it’s really really hard sometimes, but I trust You.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

3 thoughts on “Let’s not repeat today, ok?

  1. Your experiences sound so familiar that I would laugh but then I know that bone marrow testing is pretty painful so I won’t laugh. I hope they give you some of that EMLA cream to put on your port before it gets accessed. You can sweet talk the nurses into giving you some tegaderm clear skin dressings to keep the cream in place. Brandon says the port accessing hurts for the first 2 weeks but then you don’t notice it at all. Enjoy the retreat. You will probably enjoy every aspect and emotion that you have. You will be surrounded by those who love you. Love you, Julie and Brandon.

  2. My dad had to have a bone marrow test years ago and I was so afraid for the pain he would have to go through. He had so much back/hip pain already! Maybe it was because of the pain meds he was already on, or just God’s mercy, but he acted like it was no big deal! I’m glad yours is over. Praying for you.

  3. Pingback: Girl (and God) Time! | hodgkinssurvivor

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s